Thursday, July 5, 2018


The Problem with Keys

I hate locked doors.  Well, I feel better that I got that off my chest.  Locked doors need keys to open them.  Keys take time and work to get the door opened.  I hate locked doors.  Let me add I don't hate other people's locked doors, I respect them. I just hate having to lock my doors in my own home.

You might call me lazy.  I am good with that.  Although I myself, do not feel like I am a lazy person.  I work hard running a ministry and keeping things together at home. So laziness isn't why I hate locked doors.

I hate locks because it means I can't trust.  I want to trust the people I live with and the people I live around.  I also understand locked doors aren't for the criminal minded, but for the impulsive.  There's the problem.

Keys have to be my responsibility.  My responsibility to keep the impulsive, no boundary people out of my stuff.  Why do I have to have responsibility for someone else's impassivity or criminality? 

I can see this is a complaining blog, a vent blog.  

You may be asking why I have to lock my doors in my own home.  Well, I live in a ministry that I founded for women who have substance use issues.  Now, you are understanding. 

I expect the women who have been invited to live in the ministry to respect the boundaries of a closed door.  But, for whatever reason they don't.  Sure I understand locking the office where confidential files are.  Sure I get that.  But where is the home training for adult women?

I have been wondering how to help women with this boundary without the keys.  I will admit the boundary issue changes as the women learn the power of respect.  Once they get it that I am expecting the best out of them, they begin doing the best,  the best they know how.  With training this does change.  I have watched thieves be trusted with my very personal belongings after they know the deal about expectations. 

I do hate keys, but I love great expectations for the women I serve.  I expect them to change and they put forth a strong effort for that.  I expect them to be faithful, and to me they become faithful. 

So, expectations play an important part in the keys deal.  I as I expect them to respect my boundaries, they begin to respect my boundaries. 

All in all I guess keys do have a place in my world.  I just wish I could find them.  

I am forever changed.



,

2 comments:

  1. So good Cathy! Blessed to know you and work alongside you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is excellent! I have been feeling this way myself in my own home 😕

    ReplyDelete